Which documents I need BEFORE submitting a request

Keep the following documents nearby

You'll need some very specific information to request a document. By having these documents ready, you'll be able to quickly fill out the forms.



Keep your IDENTITY CARD or Passport ready. The data on it will be compared with the data on your CERTIFICATE when you leave and/or enter the Schengen area. This mainly concerns your surname, first names and nationality. Make sure that your ID shows a MONEY ENDDATE. Your IDENTIFICATIONNUMMER of the National Register is an optional information when filling in the data for the application and the layout of a CERTIFICATE. It is wise but not mandatory to state this when applying for the CERTIFICATE.




The VEHICLE REGISTRATION NUMBER + LICENCE PLATE DOCUMENT or a copy thereof shall be in the vehicle. Pick it up from the storage compartment in the vehicle. You need it here! The clear identification of the vehicle on the basis of the NUMBERPLATE is very important. You can also read the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) from that document. The owner of the vehicle will check and/or correct it before giving you permission. On the reverse side you can also read the vehicle's MARK and the TRADE NAME that you should mention in the MODEL box on your request. 

Please note: in Belgium, the HOLDER of the registration licence number is not always the owner of the vehicle. For example, a leasing company will be the OWNER and the vehicle may be registered with another (legal) person. With the application you can call up an OWNER from the dropbox OWNERs that Renta Drive vzw manages and fill in the details of the HOLDER of the number plate. When checking, it is important that the holder of the number plate is also correctly filled in as the registration certificate therefore corresponds to the data on the CERTIFICATE!



The Schengen area and beyond!
The Schengen area comprises a number of countries in which the free movement of persons and in most cases also of vehicles is allowed. Belgium and many surrounding countries are part of this zone. You can also freely travel to countries that are not in Schengen area but that are part of EU.

The United Kingdom may impose stricter formalities in the future, but according to our information there will be no specific car document control by UK Customs initially. A drive certificate therefore does not seem to us to be necessary at the moment for persons travelling to the UK with a leased car. The vehicle's TPL insurance will also remain valid after 1/1/21 if the UK was already listed on the insurance card. However, drivers must at all times have their driving licence, insurance certificate and original registration certificate on board. 

See table included in this site for more details. 

When using a vehicle outside the Schengen zone, the driver of a vehicle with a Belgian number plate will be able to present an internationally legalized document by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Only the owner of the vehicle can validate this permit. See also the relevant Vienna Convention of 1968. Each country can, according to this convention, require an authorization from the OWNER before USE from a VEHICLE.
Also, vehicles with a GH Luxembourg number plate managed by a Belgian administrator can apply for DRIVE CERTIFICATE.

It is recommended to use the DRIVE CERTIFICATE that you can request in this application, digitally.

The CERTIFICATE bears an internationally verified signature, an e APOSTILLE or e LEGALISATION of Foreign Affairs and is included as an ORIGINAL CERTIFICATE in https://legalweb.diplomatie.be, an internationally consultable site.

Schengen Zone

Authorized countries without certificate

Schengen countries

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

Non-Schengen EU countries

Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania.

Specific country

United Kingdom

For leaving and entering the Schengen area with a vehicle, a legalised permit is required.

Insured outside the Schengen Zone
Insured outside the Schengen zone?

The DRIVE certificate is completely independent of the insurance of the vehicle or its occupants.

The owner/licence holder who authorizes you to use the vehicle under specific circumstances must check the validity of, among other things, the vehicle insurance of the vehicle in question for the permitted country(ies). 
If you exceptionally insure the vehicle and/or its occupants yourself, you will carry out the check.

In many cases, an additional insurance can be taken out if necessary.

Lease and rent companies control thoroughly before a DRIVE CERTIFICATE will be underwritten by their responsible..

The underwriting (or the control) of insurance is the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle or of those that put the vehicle at disposition.


Who has reading rights?

Who has access to the documents?

The Federal Police has the right to inspect all DRIVE CERTIFICATES issued. (read & print)

They can answer questions by a foreign government about a DRIVE CERTIFICATE.

The Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs, Legalisation Service, has the right to inspect your DRIVE CERTIFICATE on the basis of https://legalweb.diplomatie.be in which they read in your CERTIFICATE.

Use CONTACT please

You can contact Renta Drive if necessary.